Friday, March 17, 2017

Sprog wars: The revenge of Sprog.

Hi,

Got my butt handed to me by the Cub today, as we managed to sneak in a game of 40k before he headed back to his mom's post-March break.

The game was notable in that both of us took rather different forces than usual.  Cub went armour heavy, and unbound, with a Redeemer, Predator, and 3 (!) Dreadnaughts, whilst I moved away from my usual recipe of more boyz =   better by taking my Dakka Jet, my full suite of Deffkoptas, and a Battlewagon.

IMG_8813

Cub had himself a massive turn 1, with his Landraider scoring a penetrating hit on my Battlewagon (which subsequently managed to get itself stuck in difficult terrain), and an aggressive drive toward my forces.  His LR Redeemer is a bit of a nightmare for me, as it not only has ridiculously heavy armour, but is equipped with the perfect weapons to sweep orks off the table in droves.  To kill it, I need to get my power klaws into b2b contact, but that means exposing my boyz to flamey templates of doom.  It's always an issue, he knows it, and he's learned to use it effectively.

IMG_8815

That said, Warboss Binky and a power klaw are a solution to many problems, and via the power of the Waaagh, I was able to put an end to the Predator fairly quickly.  This set me up for a charge against the Landraider the following turn - if I could weather the firestorm.

In a bid to ease the path a little, I threw the PK -equipped Nob from the mob that had been in the (immobilized) Battlewagon against the Redeemer, but sadly, managed to do little more than scratch its paint.

IMG_8817

In the meantime, my Deffcoptas screened the approaching dreadnaughts - which proved fairly effective.  One Dread I've had little trouble dealing with, but a vanilla, Ironclad, and venerable, all marching towards me, proved  a tougher nut to crack.

IMG_8818

Turn 4 saw the arrival of my Dakkjet.  I love this model, got it for Christmas over a year ago, and have yet to play it, so this was a much-anticipate moment.  Also, something of a disappointment.  In a flurry of high-caliber shoota fire, the 'jet managed to force a total of 3 armour saves, and kill the grand total of 1 marine.  Warboss Binky got in his charge, but between he and the Nob tagalong, only managed a couple of hull points and a destroyed assault cannon.  The following turn would not be pretty.

IMG_8819

On the following turn, the Cub opened up with both his uber-flamers (gutting Binky's mob, and bringing the Warboss down to 1 wound) and his multi-melta, which left poor Binky as nothing more than a smoking boot on the table.

IMG_8820

The assault cannon on one of the Dreads took down my dakkjet, and things went downhill fast.  We called the game for time at the top of turn 5, with points tied, but I was down to the rump of a couple mobs, 4 dakka jets, and nothing that would be able to counter the mass of armour Cub brought to bear.  Even the cold comfort of a successful Sluggaboy mob charge (which wiped out his tac squad) wasn't going to do much to turn the tide.

IMG_8821

It was fun to get (and see) some new stuff on the table.  I was, honestly, disappointed in the Dakkajet.  While I can see some utility in it against other forces, against Marine armour it struggles.  Maybe I'll give the bomber version a try - and I've been itching to try the Forgeworld FightaBomma rules as well.

In other news, I've been picking away at the last base for my first unit of French 1/72 Napoleonics.  Saw a post over on RB and JtF the other day, and it fired me up a little.  I quite like the scale, the figs have improved marvelously since the old Airfix models, and it's got me reading the Black Powder rules again.

IMG_8810

I have enough figs on hand for a couple more units of French Infantry, and at least one of cavalry, plus officers.  I figure I'll work on these for a bit until it's time for another change.  There's no rush on this project, as playing BP will require a) more room than I have, and b) more opponents than I have, but I figure a judicious program of exposing the children to repeated viewings of Waterloo and Zulu may have the desired effect.

IMG_8811

I should have these fellows properly based in a few days, and will try to get a decent post out of it later in the week.  Until then, fare well.

FMB


2 comments:

  1. What a great looking game and well done the young man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before the board exams, officials from the Jharkhand Academic Council (JAC) will release the JAC Model Paper 2022 for Class 10. The Jharkhand Board Model Papers 2022 Class 10 are scheduled to be released in January 2022, according to sources. JAC 10th Model Paper 2022 Candidates who plan to take the JAC board exams should go to the official website.

    ReplyDelete